Tuesday, October 28, 2008

This is for Clark. And don’t just scoff if you don’t agree I want to know why.

Pro 4.
Yes I am for parent notification that’s an easy one. A minor is a minor and people who are responsible for the kid have every right to know everything that’s going on in their kid’s life. The issue of parental abuse or the kid being kicked out is a completely different issue that has noting to do with this. If parents are going to beat their kid for get knocked up then the girl shouldn’t be with those parents in the first place. The argument of abusive parent is a weak agreement that shouldn’t even be brought up.

Pro 8
I am a Christian and I think that gay marriage is wrong. But does that mean that I’m going to vote yes on pro. 8? This was the question I had to ask myself. In the process I had to consider two things: free will and the role of government in society vs. people’s rights.

Firstly, I believe in free will. Free will is what makes humans humans. Free will is also what makes grace such a wonderful concept. Therefore I don’t believe in forcing anyone to fallow the rules of my religion. But still I do believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and God. But not one man, one women, and the Government. However the government must keep track of those who are married to enforce the laws set up for married people (marriage as the government see it is basically just two people in a state of economic exchange).

I believe that God does not recognize a marriage between a gay couple.
And it is NOT for the government to say whether or not ANYONE is truly married to another person in the sight of God, but it is the responsibility of the government to honor the choice of any two people who wish to be bound economically and involved legally in each other’s lives.

In my mind marriage regulated by the government is not true marriage because it does not involve God in any way. Government regulated marriage is simply two people in a legally bound state of economic exchange. And I cannot in good conscience stop anyone from having that right.

2 comments:

Clark said...

Good argument, I basically agree.

One point: When it really boils down to it, I honestly don't think you can fully separate politics from religion. While in an ideal world that would be a lovely concept, I don't think it works here- human nature is too dependent on a "supernatural." I'm voting yes simply because I believe the concept of marriage is union between man and woman. As far as I'm concerned, a gay couple may be granted an equal "state of economics exchange" as heterosexual marriage, just call it something else. Whether God recognizes it or not is not my judgment call to make. You can call it weak reasoning, and it may be, but it makes sense to me.

Now I just need to find a stupid stamp so I can mail in this ballot...

Clark said...

I wouldn't necessarily say we disagree. I'd argue there's more agreement than dissent- just different interpretations.

Yes I voted for Obama (you can at least spell is name right). I didn't vote for him because I liked him or because I agree with his policies. In fact, I don't like him at all and don't agree with many of his policies. John McCain scares the living crap out of me and I think Biden is a somewhat wholesome guy. That's why I voted Democratic.

It's all very frustrating and pretty pointless and I honestly don't care who gets it at this point. I wasn't going to vote at all then I saw Dr. Reti and felt terribly guilty.

Happy Friday.